Clifton Stewart was a driving creative force for our festival in 2013 and in 2014 he is once again curating the international film festival while also bringing his considerable expertise to the job of locating and convincing other world-class digital artists to join in the fun.
Here’s something new: Clifton Stewart’s photos have been chosen to be part of exhibition in memory of Robert Capa. Read more: here.
Artist Statement: For the past four years I have curated the popular and successful Space4 Shorts Film Festival held at the Key Theatre in Peterborough. I curate the festival like an art exhibition, sourcing the work, inviting the film makers to participate and programming a wide and varied week of international short films. Each year has screened approximately fifty short films from over twenty countries each year.
Screenwriting: As a script writer I have written for both TV and cinema/film festivals where my short films have won awards. My short films have screened at film festivals and on television all over the World.
Currently I am working on a half hour TV noir-ish thriller and a feature script based on the traditional English folk tale of The Green Children, updated and contemporized.
(Note: Images are from the film festival which will be shown at Art & Algorithms)
Lecturing: As a Lecturer I currently hold two positions, as a Senior Lecturer in Media Production at Coventry University and also as a part-time Lecturer in Fine Art, Lens and Electronic Media at De Montfort University, Leicester. I have also lectured part time at other universities including the Glasgow School of Art’s Digital Design Studio, particularly in screenwriting and narrative structure.
M.A. Screenwriting and Research: The London Institute, London College of Printing, 1994.
B.A. (Hons) Fine Art (Film making): Leicester Polytechnic, 1983.
PGCert: in Higher Education Professional Practice. 2011.
De Montfort University: Lecturer for Fine Art, Lens and Electronic Media. 1993 – present.
3. Past Positions/Lecturing:
• Glasgow School of Art: Visiting lecturer in script writing and research, M.A Digital Design course.
• Derby University: Visiting Lecturer Fine Art / Photography
• Peterborough Regional College: Visiting Lecturer Film and Television Production
• Curating: The Space4 Shorts Film Festival, Peterborough 2006 to 09 and the Key Shorts Film Festival, Peterborough 2012
• Media Development Coordinator: Originated and managed The Space4, a new media art gallery and multimedia production resource Jan 1999 – Dec 2008
Curated numerous art exhibitions and originated two national touring exhibitions and The Space4 Shorts Film festival.
4. Recent Conference Paper:
Will (and Can) Local TV Work? Delivered a paper at the conference, Coventry March 2012.
Professional Practice, selected
• Moth: Writer, short film. Amulet Films, writer, Winner of the ‘Splash’ Film Festival 2005, supported by the British Council at Cannes 2005.
• The Mild Bunch: Writer, short Film First Take / Anglia Television. TV short also theatrically screened widely and sold throughout Europe and North America. 2000
• Doctors: Writer for BBC TV series.
• Once Upon A Time: Writer / Producer / Editor. Half hour drama screened at film festivals.
• The Green Children: Received development funding to research and write a feature treatment from Screen East, 2008/09
• Eden: UK Film Council funded feature screenplay
• The Domino Theory: UK Film Council funded screenplay
• COIL: Parallel Films original commissioned feature screenplay
• The Voyeur/Cinema Rex: Writer on this new genre drama series.
• guerilla-filmmaker.com: Contributed an article on short film.
• SnowBlind: Writer, short film shot in Iceland in March, 2012.
• The Scream: Writer, short film currently in post-production 2013.
• Conflict and Loss: Curated and exhibited photographs as part of this national touring art exhibition. 2008 / 2009
• The Waiting Room: Contributing photographer to this group show 2009
• 131,896 Mile: Contributing photographer to this group show, 2011/12
• Ingenious Media: Contributing photographer to this group show, London
• Hidden Heritage: Manager, photographer and filmmaker on this lottery funded heritage project, a web site, DVD and gallery exhibition 2008/09.
• Peterborough, Sense of Place: Lead photographer, filmmaker and managed this Heritage funded multimedia project.
• BAFTA voting member
• Writers Guild of Great Britain
• Fitzrovia Noir (Trustee)
• Fellow of Higher Education Academy
• BCre8tive (mentor)
• Martin Richardson: Invited to curate a new exhibition of Holograms and Lenticulars in Florida, October 2013.
• Curating an international film festival of short films for Brevard Cultural Alliance, Florida, October 2013
• Exhibiting an installation in France, Summer 2013
• Developing a number of TV projects, both drama and factual
• Mentor for BCre8tive online feature production resource