Clifton Stewart has been a driving creative force for Art & Algorithms Digital Arts Festival in 2013/2014 and in 2015 he is once again curating the international film festival while also bringing his considerable expertise to the job of locating and convincing other world-class digital artists to join in the fun.
In 2014, Clifton brought us his own digital photography exhibit as well, that reflected his first year experience at Art & Algorithms 2013. Clifton Stewart’s photos in that exhibit, “Real or Imagined Places,” was chosen to be part of exhibition in memory of Robert Capa. Read more: here.
Artist Statement: For the past several years I have curated the popular and successful Space 4 Shorts Film Festival held at the Key Theatre in Peterborough. I curate the festival like an art exhibition, sourcing the work, inviting the film makers to participate and programming a wide and varied week of international short films. Each year has screened approximately fifty short films from over twenty countries each year.
Screenwriting: As a script writer I have written for both TV and cinema/film festivals where my short films have won awards. My short films have screened at film festivals and on television all over the World.
Currently I am working on a half hour TV noir-ish thriller and a feature script based on the traditional English folk tale of The Green Children, updated and contemporized.
(Note: Images are from films shown at Art & Algorithms)
Lecturing: As a Lecturer I currently hold two positions, as a Senior Lecturer in Media Production at Coventry University and also as a part-time Lecturer in Fine Art, Lens and Electronic Media at De Montfort University, Leicester. I have also lectured part time at other universities including the Glasgow School of Art’s Digital Design Studio, particularly in screenwriting and narrative structure.
M.A. Screenwriting and Research: The London Institute, London College of Printing, 1994.
B.A. (Hons) Fine Art (Film making): Leicester Polytechnic, 1983.
PGCert: in Higher Education Professional Practice. 2011.
De Montfort University: Lecturer for Fine Art, Lens and Electronic Media. 1993 – present.
3. Past Positions/Lecturing:
• Glasgow School of Art: Visiting lecturer in script writing and research, M.A Digital Design course.
• Derby University: Visiting Lecturer Fine Art / Photography
• Peterborough Regional College: Visiting Lecturer Film and Television Production
• Curating: The Space4 Shorts Film Festival, Peterborough 2006 to 09 and the Key Shorts Film Festival, Peterborough 2012
• Media Development Coordinator: Originated and managed The Space4, a new media art gallery and multimedia production resource Jan 1999 – Dec 2008
Curated numerous art exhibitions and originated two national touring exhibitions and The Space4 Shorts Film festival.
4. Recent Conference Paper:
Will (and Can) Local TV Work? Delivered a paper at the conference, Coventry March 2012.
Professional Practice, selected
• Moth: Writer, short film. Amulet Films, writer, Winner of the ‘Splash’ Film Festival 2005, supported by the British Council at Cannes 2005.
• The Mild Bunch: Writer, short Film First Take / Anglia Television. TV short also theatrically screened widely and sold throughout Europe and North America. 2000
• Doctors: Writer for BBC TV series.
• Once Upon A Time: Writer / Producer / Editor. Half hour drama screened at film festivals.
• The Green Children: Received development funding to research and write a feature treatment from Screen East, 2008/09
• Eden: UK Film Council funded feature screenplay
• The Domino Theory: UK Film Council funded screenplay
• COIL: Parallel Films original commissioned feature screenplay
• The Voyeur/Cinema Rex: Writer on this new genre drama series.
• guerilla-filmmaker.com: Contributed an article on short film.
• SnowBlind: Writer, short film shot in Iceland in March, 2012.
• The Scream: Writer, short film currently in post-production 2013.
• Conflict and Loss: Curated and exhibited photographs as part of this national touring art exhibition. 2008 / 2009
• The Waiting Room: Contributing photographer to this group show 2009
• 131,896 Mile: Contributing photographer to this group show, 2011/12
• Ingenious Media: Contributing photographer to this group show, London
• Hidden Heritage: Manager, photographer and filmmaker on this lottery funded heritage project, a web site, DVD and gallery exhibition 2008/09.
• Peterborough, Sense of Place: Lead photographer, filmmaker and managed this Heritage funded multimedia project.
• BAFTA voting member
• Writers Guild of Great Britain
• Fitzrovia Noir (Trustee)
• Fellow of Higher Education Academy
• BCre8tive (mentor)